President’s Volunteer Service Award
The President’s Volunteer Service Award recognizes United States citizens and lawfully admitted, permanent residents of the United States who have achieved the required number of hours of service over a 12-month time period or cumulative hours over the course of a lifetime.
Students who would like to be honored in the 2021 Chancellor's Student Service and Leadership Awards ceremony should submit their hours before spring break (March 20, 2021). Students who submit their hours, or reach their 100+ hours, after March will still be eligible to receive the national award, as long as hours are submitted by June 30, 2021.
Individuals that meet the criteria are eligible.
- Recipient(s) must be a United States citizen or a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States.
- At UIC, awards are issued for service hours served within an academic school year (for annual Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards) and over a lifetime (for Lifetime Achievement Awards).
- Awards are issued for volunteer service only; additional levels of participation with the organization (i.e., charitable support) are not a factor considered for the award.
- Court-ordered or Dean of Student sanctioned community service does not qualify for the award.
- Awards are issued by approved Certifying Organizations. UIC is considered an approved Certifying Organization, and SLCE works without outside organizations to confirm student volunteer hours via submissions on the service.uic.edu portal.
Eligibility at UIC
Hours are measured over an academic school year (Fall and Spring Semesters) and awards are designated based on cumulative hours.
The awards are offered in multiple levels and are designed to recognize each milestone of your service achievement. Levels include bronze, silver, and gold; the highest honor, the President’s Lifetime Achievement Award, is for those who contribute more than 4,000 hours of service in their lifetime.
Along with the ultimate honor of presidential recognition, recipients will receive a personalized certificate, an official memento and a congratulatory letter from the President of the United States.
Hours By Award
|Age Group||Bronze||Silver||Gold||Lifetime Achievement Award|
|Young Adults (16-25)||100-174||175-249||250+||4,000+|
|Adults (26 and older)||100-249||250-499||500+||4,000+|
A Note about Logging Hours
If you are logging hours for an ongoing opportunity, you are encouraged to submit your hours in monthly or semesterly batches, rather than in smaller increments. SLCE will be able to more easily verify and approve ongoing activities when they are submitted at the conclusion of the month or semester of service. You will simply select the earliest volunteer date as your service date and then provide details about your ongoing service in the additional information.
SLCE may deny service hour submissions if we do not receive enough information about the service opportunity, including contact name and email, service organization, volunteer hours and/or regular schedule, and what type of service you were completing.