MLK Day of Service
MLK Day of Service 2023
Since there is no class held on MLK Day, we characterize it as “a day on, not a day off." Efforts are made to collaborate with other Chicago events and community areas.
The sites are still to be determined; however, please sign up to let us know you are interested. All those who are registered, will receive an email in January letting you know of the various sites and project options for you to let us know where you prefer to volunteer, if you are with a group or as an individual, and if you will need transportation.
The proposed schedule of the day is...
- 9:15-9:30am - MLK volunteers meet at UIC to board bus to a site for a welcome address and breakfast
- 9:45am-10:15am - Welcome address and breakfast at site
- 10:15am - UIC shuttles will load the volunteers, SLCE Service Leaders and any supplies and depart for the various service sites
- 10:30am-10:45am - Welcome to service site with explanation of its mission, introductions, explanation of service site project
- 10:45am-12:45pm - Service projects
- 12:45pm - Lunch at various service sites (lunch is provided)
- 1:15pm - Shuttles arrive to pick up UIC volunteers
- 1:30pm - UIC volunteers arrive back on campus
MLK Day of Service 2021 Heading link
Listen to what students had to say on their experience in providing service across the UIC community.
2021 IMPACT Heading link
This year, MLK Day of Service was held on Monday, January 18, 2021, and included a selection of 2 in-person and 8 virtual service opportunities, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Our volunteers were able to provide service in the following places: UCAN, Urban Art Retreat Center, Coalition for a Better Chinese American Community, Renaissance Social Services, Be the Match, Esperanza Community Services, Japanese American Service Committee, and Young Masterbuilders in Motion, Inc.
We are pleased to announce 189 UIC students, faculty, staff, and alumni volunteered! A total of 589 volunteer hours were achieved, an increase from the previous year.
The MLK Day of Service is part of the UIC 2021 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration week.
Creative and Digital Services created a UIC Lens Page specifically on MLK Day this year that we highly encourage you check out!
2021 MLK Day of Service Photo Gallery Heading link
2020 IMPACT: Heading link
On Martin Luther King Jr. Day in 2020, the UIC community came together to volunteer at 13 different projects across 8 different service sites, such as at the Stone Temple Baptist Church (where MLK spoke during the civil rights movement), Girls in the Game, and Hope House. There were a total of 173 participants that gave 572 hours! Great job, Flames!
In the Past:
January 2019 – Approximately 171 students, faculty, staff, and friends of UIC served at 9 sites across Chicago. Participants gave nearly 700 hours of service to organizations that resulted in an economic impact of over $18,000.