Upcoming Races in Chicago
- Chicago Municipal Elections: Mayoral Race & City Offices
- Early Voting On-Campus for Chicago Residents: March 27/28/29
- Election Day: April 2, 2019
- Stay tuned for events and resources to learn about the candidates and any ballot measures.
Our Civic Engagement work is grounded in the following definitions:
- “Civic engagement means working to make a difference in the civic life of our communities and developing the combination of knowledge, skills, values and motivations to make that difference. It means promoting the quality of life in a community, through both political and non-political processes” (Civic Responsibility in Higher Education, Ehrlich, 2000, p.vi).
- “Civic learning and democratic engagement means promoting the education of students for engaged citizenship through democratic participation in their communities, respect and appreciation of diversity, applied learning, and social responsibility” (NASPA, https://www.naspa.org/focus-areas/civic-learning-and-democratic-engagement).
- Community engagement is “Collaboration between institutions of higher education and their larger communities (local, regional/state, national, global) for the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and resources in a context of partnership and reciprocity” (Carnegie Classification for Community Engagement).