Student Leadership and Civic Engagement is committed to helping students explore not only what they want to do, but also who they want to be. Through dynamic, challenging, and exciting personal and professional development programs, workshops, and events, students will explore themselves and become active members of the community.
Program Spotlight: MLK Day of Service
In January 2019, approximately 171 students, faculty, staff, and friends of the UIC community kicked off the semester a day early by coming together to serve at nine sites across Chicago offering ten different volunteer opportunities. Participants gave over 700 hours of service to organizations that included Lakeview Pantry, UCAN, North Branch Restoration, Glenkirk, Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, and City Year’s site at Deenan School of Excellence. Through projects such as organizing libraries for youth, painting murals, serving meals, and more, our UIC community provided around $18,000 in economic impact.
Mission / Vision / Values
Provide student-centered co-curricular leadership and service programming that facilitates diverse and inclusive collaboration, self-awareness, and socially just community engagement, while encouraging personal and professional development, active citizenship, cultural humility, and transformational growth.
Engage every student on their journey from members of communities to active citizens and from exploring to transformed leaders.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Create a safe space in which we appreciate, honor, and highlight the value of diverse perspectives and experiences
- Collaboration: Connect people and resources on-and off-campus in pursuit of a common cause.
- Self-Awareness: Stimulate both knowledge and application of perspectives, strengths, and beliefs.
- Social Justice: Encourage and pursue equity, fairness, and advocacy on both individual and institutional levels
- Personal and Professional Development: Providing opportunities for individuals to develop competencies and capacities that can be applied in their daily lives.
- Active Citizenship: Encouraging individuals to prioritize community in their choices, beliefs, and actions.
- Transformational Growth: Engaging in meaningful experiences that encourage self-discovery.
- Cultural Humility: Offering opportunities that encourage self-reflection, build the ability to adapt to differences, and increase cross-cultural understanding.