Student Leadership and Civic Engagement believes that leadership is the process by which individuals facilitate positive social change.
Our programs and workshops provide opportunities for students to explore and discover their personal style of leadership, while building skills to help them succeed in their academic and professional lives.
- The connections between individuals, groups, and community
- Helping students link their passions to a greater cause
Programs Heading link
Social Change Model of Leadership Development Heading link
The Social Change Model approaches leadership as a purposeful, collaborative, values-based process that results in positive social change.
The Social Change Model was built upon the following assumptions:
- Leadership is concerned with effecting change on behalf of others and society.
- Leadership is collaborative.
- Leadership is a process rather than a position.
- Leadership should be value-based.
- All students (not just those that hold formal leadership positions) are potential leaders.
- Service is a powerful vehicle for developing students’ leadership skills.
Source: Higher Education Research Institute. (1996). A social change model of leadership development (Version III). Los Angeles: University of California Los Angeles Higher Education Research Institute.