Student Leadership and Civic Engagement Learning Outcomes Heading link
- Students who participate in SLCE programs will be able to effectively analyze the knowledge gained from their leadership, service, and civic engagement experiences to develop personal and career goals that incorporate a sense of personal responsibility to community.
- Alignment with Divisional Learning Goals: Skills to be real world ready self-awareness; transformational leadership
- Students who participate in SLCE programs will utilize their knowledge of social issues and leadership styles to consistently take actions in line with with their values to build a more socially just, diverse, and inclusive world.
- Alignment with Divisional Learning Goals: justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion; Transformational leadership
- Students who participate in SLCE programs will be able to manage personal and professional experiences, behaviors, and skills to confidently navigate work and life after college and achieve life-long success.
- Alignment with Divisional Learning Goals: Skills to be real world ready; self-awareness
Student Engagement in Student Affairs Heading link
With one of the most diverse student populations in the nation, the University of Illinois Chicago is dedicated to providing a welcoming environment for its students and fostering a sense of belonging, academic success, student growth and development, diversity, and community.
Student Affairs provides enriching, co-curricular opportunities for every student to engage and build meaningful connections from orientation through graduation.
UIC Student Affairs provides a myriad of out-of-the-classroom opportunities in which students engage throughout their college experience. Through these experiences, students can apply and connect what they learn in and outside the classroom. The approach to developing the student learning outcomes framework for Student Affairs is based on the premise that students first acquire knowledge related to these learning domains, are given the opportunity to apply the skills learned through their out-of-the-classroom experiences, and ultimately integrate these skills into their lives to serve them beyond their time at UIC.
- Divisional Learning Outcomes allow integration and shared responsibility for student learning across units. These current learning goals and outcomes result from the divisional initiative to implement the curricular approach and were updated in June 2023.
- Unit Learning Outcomes define what students will learn through multiple programs and services offered within a unit, including those designed and implemented in Student Leadership and Civic Engagement, as highlighted above.
Student Engagement is a partnership between UIC and each student that bridges the learning that occurs inside and outside the classroom to prepare students for success beyond UIC.
Our Student Engagement Educational Priority is:
Students will be “real-world ready,” socially just leaders in their communities, grounded in understanding themselves and others.
The united Student Engagement departments listed below provide essential pathways for engagement, leadership, service, and learning, uplifting this shared educational priority:
- Center for Student Involvement
- Commuter and Off-Campus Life
- Fraternity and Sorority Life
- High Impact Student Engagement
- New Student & Family Programs
- Student Leadership and Civic Engagement
Student Leadership and Civic Engagement is integral to UIC’s mission to provide the broadest access to the highest levels of education, research, and clinical excellence.